A chiropractor is a musculoskeletal expert and health-care professional who focuses on the body’s ability to heal itself. They use modalities such as adjustments and soft-tissue massage to both restore joint function and support the nervous system. Chiropractors focus on diagnosis, prevention, and care of spine-related disorders and other issues. They help patients maintain their health and wellbeing while avoiding drugs or surgery, often deemed unnecessary. And they focus on whole-body health, they may also provide soft tissue massage, lifestyle coaching, and nutritional and supplemental advice.
Adjustments, Manipulations, and Massage, Oh My!
Contrary to some belief, a chiropractic adjustment (aka manipulation) is a very safe modality of care. During an adjustment, the chiropractor applies a controlled force to a joint to restore proper function and mobility. Accidents, falls, or overexertion can negatively impact the body. These changes impact tissues, tendons, the nervous system, and other areas of the body. When ignored and left untreated, this can lead to longterm chronic problems. In other words, chiropractic care isn’t a fancy way to “crack your back”, but rather it reduces pain, increases movement, and improves performance.
Surprising Benefits of Chiropractic Care
While most of our patients initially come into our office for acute and chronic back pain, they are often surprised to see benefits in the following areas:
Plantar fasciitis is one of the leading causes of heel pain in adults. In typical cases, sufferers will compensate in the ways they perform daily tasks and other functions. This change in stance, posture, and movement often causes misalignments throughout the body. While there are a number of treatments available for this condition, chiropractic care is one of the best modalities for relief.
- Reduces ligament stress – the cause of plantar fasciitis pain are tears in the ligament due to stress. Chiropractic care can take some of the unnecessary stress off of the ligament so that it can heal. If the stressor is not stopped, the sufferer will continue to feel pain.
- Minimize other injuries – Via the compensation mentioned above, sufferers have noted other injuries while dealing with their plantar fasciitis pain. Chiropractors can help settle and restore other misalignments in the body that can cause ankle, knee, hip, and lower back discomfort and pain.
- Coincides with other modalities of healing – Chiropractic care is natural and non-invasive. This type of care works well as sufferers can also take part in other types of healing such as massage and physical therapy.
Shoulder impingement is a common cause of shoulder pain. It is normally caused by over-use of the tendons in the shoulder in a specific and repeated way (i.e. swimming, tennis, other overhead sports, painting, and lifting). This pain is persistent and will usually affect a person’s day to day activity. Over time, this condition can lead to a general increase in inflammation. When left untreated, it can cause wear and tear on the rotator cuff tendon. Chiropractic care is considered one of the best treatments for this because:
- Realignment and reduced tendon stress – The first step in chiropractic treatment is to realign the spine. This removes any abnormalities that could be enforcing the impingement pain. Realignment can help reduce the extra stress on the tendon and help relieve wear and tear.
- Supported muscle and tendon relaxation – As an extra means of support, the chiropractor may choose to utilize extra techniques for healing. In most cases, either cross friction massage or electro stimulation therapy is used. These therapies help relax the muscles as a means to reduce pain and inflammation and improve mobility.
Our hips are an extremely crucial part of the body. They allow us to bear weight, walk, run, jump and a lot more! They are involved in almost every aspect of movement; any pain or discomfort can cause a number of daily issues. Chiropractic care can help in a number of ways including:
- Relieved sciatica – Sciatica is a common cause of hip and lower back pain. And while surgery is one kind of treatment option, chiropractic care has been shown to also dramatically improve symptoms.
- Full range of personalized treatment – Chiropractic care is personal. And while some practices will put all patients through the same treatment plans, Miller Sports and Family Chiropractic will make sure your pain is treated through means that make the most sense for your specific case. These treatments (which include a range of modalities including adjustments, exercise therapy, stretching, and more) will aim to reduce inflammation and relax and reduce muscle, ligament, and tendon stress. It can also help strengthen weakened muscles and improve joint mobility and connection to the nervous system.
Just like the hips, our knees are a critical part of our body’s ability to move and perform daily tasks. Most of us turn to pain medication and reduced activity levels in order to cope. However, chiropractic treatment can help address the underlying issues rather than cover them up with a medicated band-aid. If your knee pain has disrupted your ability to function normally in your daily life, consider chiropractic treatment to help alleviate pain through:
- Reduced inflammation and range of motion – One method of treatment is to utilize ice as a means to reduce inflammation around the joint. Once the area has been iced, the chiropractor will use soft tissue massage to help improve range of motion within the joint.
- Decrease pain and improve overall function – In addition to icing, chiropractors may use manipulation techniques on the knee and supporting tendons and joints. This method can help decrease pain while also increasing the range of motion and improving knee function.
- Find underlying issues – As we stated before, you may be experiencing knee pain, however, it may not be the knees that are the issue. In most knee pain cases, there is actually another culprit that is causing (or adding to) the pain. For example, tightness and restricted movement in the hips or lower back can put painful stress on the knees. Chiropractic care helps reduce pain via the source of the issue.
If you’re someone that suffers from constant headaches, you know how they affect your ability to go about your daily life. Chiropractic care can help manage your headaches effectively:
- Tension headaches – Tension headaches are experienced as a “band-like” tension around the head. Chiropractic care has been shown to help relieve this type of headache pain by relieving said tension and stress.
- Cervicogenic headaches – Cervicogenic headaches are triggered by the neck but felt in one or more areas of the face/head. Chiropractic care has been shown to help relieve this type of headache pain by adjusting the neck and spine to reopen spinal communication.
Other Noted Benefits of Chiropractic Care
In conjunction with the specific benefits and uses for chiropractic care mentioned above, below are the other noted benefits of consistent care.
- Improved joint mobility, function and health
- Improved muscle strength
- Decreased joint and tissue degeneration
- Decreased inflammation
- Improved circulation
- Boost in recovery
- Improved nerve system function
- Boost in the immune system
- Improved organ function
- Improved mood
- Increased relaxation
- Increased energy
- Prenatal discomfort relief
- Improved athletic performance
- Improved overall health
Chiropractic Care with Miller Sport and Family Chiropractic
Part of achieving our best physical and emotional health is through chiropractic care. Chiropractic care focuses on allowing our spine and nerves to work to their potential and decrease overall body pain and inflammation. This results in not only allowing our organs to function but for them to function to their best ability. Dr. Miller and Dr. Murdock would love to discuss your concerns with regard to caring for your body. Their vast knowledge of natural supplementation and body processes makes them a great guide in helping you make the best choices for your body.
Contact our office in Chicora today to schedule an introductory chiropractic treatment session. We can discuss your pains and needs as part of our initial chiropractic workup for you as a new patient to our practice!
* This information has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Please contact a medical professional for advice.